Nomad Press signed on with Green Press Initiative early in the history of the press and early in the history of this environmental program for the publishing industry.
The Green Press Initiative was created in order to help those in the book and newspaper industries better understand their impacts on endangered forests, indigenous communities, and the Earth's climate. GPI also works with those in the industry to implement solutions, and to provide the tools and resources necessary to support industry transformation.
At Nomad Press we put this goal into action by making publishing decisions that are best for the planet and its resources. These decisions include:
- Choosing Green Press Initiative qualifying papers for our printing.
- Designing for efficient use of inks and papers.
- Printing our books in North America.
- Planning to minimize use of energy in transporting books.
- Making decisions about our everyday practices that minimize consumption of resources.
The Independent Stitch explains more about one of our environmentally based actions in a post prepared for Blog Action Day in 2007.